Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Recovery is like a Diamond

I just got back from doing an IOOV presentation for consumers in a day treatment center. I love doing these presentations, because I get as much hope as I give.

If there's one thing I'm about, it's recovery. I cherish it like I would cherish a diamond.

When I do an IOOV presentation, going from "Dark Days" all the way to "Successes, Hopes, and Dreams," I relive the story of my recovery, and that's what I relate to people. It's a story with a happy ending, although at one point it was as far from that as earth is from mars. I was a "throwaway." They wanted to lock me up forever. I could just never get better, going from bipolar episode to bipolar episode, including several (5) suicide attempts and many years of substance abuse.

But I was lucky. My life is a miracle from God, because it's a miracle I survived it!

I like telling my story, because it gives people hope for recovery. It's like giving them that diamond. And if I can help even one person, then it's worth it.

Yes, I do still get nervous before each presentation, but that's to humble me. That way I know I'm not out there for me. I'm out there for that one person who needs to hear what I have to say.

My life was not a pleasant one to experience. But it brought me to where I am today, sharing my success story.

I'm grateful that NAMI IOOV gives me the opportunity to do that.

Bless you all,
Michele

No comments:

Post a Comment