Friday, August 21, 2009

Advantages of Having a Mental Illness

I know, it is a strange title for a blog post, isn't it? Your first reaction may have been, "What advantages? There are no advantages of having a mental illness." But hear me out.

Granted, I'm not talking about someone who is unstable - obviously, it would be difficult to find advantages in that case. But I'm talking about those of us who are stable with our illnesses. And yes, there are advantages - at least for me.

I used to be a selfish person. I used to think the world revolved around me. Now, I care more about other people. Since my diagnosis, I have devoted my life to helping other people with bipolar disorder, right now by writing for www.bipolarcentral.com, writing my own blog as well as adding to this one, and doing IOOV presentations.

I am more compassionate now than I was. Especially toward other people who have a mental illness. My favorite IOOV presentations are to consumers, hoping that I can give them hope for recovery, and encourage them with my story that if I can do it, they can, too.

I am more spiritual, and I consider that an advantage. Today I leave things in God's hands, and not try to play Superwoman any more. There is so much more peace and serenity in my life now. I've also learned to take it One Day at a Time, so I don't get overwhelmed.

I am more in control. Being stable, I am in control over my bipolar disorder instead of it being in control of me.

Another advantage to having a mental illness is the self-awareness that comes as a result of it. We have to be medication compliant, and most of us are in therapy. But these are the things that keep our illnesses under control. I am constantly aware of my surroundings, activities, etc., so that I can avoid the triggers I have learned to avoid.

We are accountable to those people in our support systems, and I think that's an advantage, because sometimes they can see symptoms in us before we see them in ourselves.

I am much more stress-free having a mental illness, because I have to stay stable. Which means I avoid people, places, and situations that might cause me stress. And having less stress in my life is definitely an advantage.

Because of my bipolar disorder, I can't work at a regular job anymore, but that, too, is an advantage, because now I get to work from home, which is much less stressful, writing for www.bipolarcentral.com.

And being a part of IOOV is an advantage, too. I get to meet people I never would have met otherwise, and to help people with my story.

See? I told you there were advantages to having a mental illness! :) It's all in how you look at it.

Blessings,
Michele

1 comment:

  1. Michelle,
    I think speak so well and I love that fact that you brought out the advantages. I believe that God doesn't make mistakes and I think what we have suffered can be used in a positive way to help others in their climb toward recovery.
    Thanks for your blog entry.
    God Bless you!
    Vanessa Hansen

    ReplyDelete